Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, December 18, 2009

Byzantine Pride

Byzantine Lions in the Duomo, Ravello, Italy Ravello, Italy ~ April 22, 2004

I was taken aback by the combined simplicity and artistic beauty of the Byzantine interior of this church on the Piazza Vescovado, the main square of Ravello. You can see how plain much of the interior is in the background between the lions.

The church was built in the 11th Century and renovated in 1786. The lions form part of the base of one of two 13th Century pulpits. The Rough Guide to Italy says these lions were made in 1272.

I can't tell you how much I loved Ravello, an amazing Medieval town overlooking the Amalfi Coast, but I'll show more in pictures as the blog continues. A scene of Ravello was the second image I used when I started Tapirgal's Daily Image. This post shows the outside of the church on the piazza.

3 comments:

cieldequimper said...

Hmmmm... I've never been there but I think now I will have to! Looks at the floor! So, so beautiful! And the details of the columns...

VP said...

Gorgeous image, poor lions! Never been in Southern Italy, my fault: but it's much easier to fly away than to get there...

Catherine Todd said...

As always, gorgeous text and perspective. Thanks!