Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Effects of storm

Rockaway Beach, Oregon ~ March 11, 2006

I took this photo from Tillamook Bay's North Jetty along the Oregon Coast. The day was inspiring, if a bit chilly. The sky was glorious, the ocean romantic, but look closely and you'll see how wild and wind-blown the waves are. On the other side of the jetty, the swells were so powerful, it was awesome to watch them surge through an opening between the main breakwater and an outcropping of rocks. If that hadn't been enough of a hint, there were several wooden crosses near where I stood, decorated with flowers and mementos, even a pair of rubber boots. The message of the day seemed clear as we observed people fishing in these high seas. Enjoy the ocean, but never, never forget to respect what it can do. "Handle with Care."

5 comments:

VP said...

Now I know a Rockaway on the Atlantic and one on the Pacific. I live near the sea but I'm awed by the ocean when I see it...

GreensboroDailyPhoto said...

Someday I'll need to read your old posts to learn about the pastion for the tapir. In the meantime, this is a stunning vista and nice description. I wish you would have turned the camera to the point where you were standing!

Lowell said...

Fantastic photo! The sea is so very powerful! Scary, even. Even in Florida!

Lee Spangler said...

You are lucky to see the ocean in its many moods.

Unknown said...

I love the power of the ocean. I grew up in a town on the Atlantic Ocean and, when I see photos such as this one, I feel a tad homesick.