Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Bridge of Glass

Tacoma, Washington ~ May 21, 2004

These blown glass shapes are what you see when you look skyward inside Dale Chihuly's Bridge of Glass in Tacoma. It's literally a covered section of a bridge across the highway, and this is its ceiling. To look up plunges a person into a wonderland of delight. When I saw it for the first time, I couldn't believe I'd never heard of it before. Where had I been? Another artist, Christo, is so famous for wrapping things (including bridges) which I find only mildly interesting. This, on the other hand, was something more people should know about. I suppose it doesn't get the press because it's only beautiful and not that weird or huge.

8 comments:

B SQUARED said...

Chihuly is certainly one of a kind. His works are incredibly beautiful and, I believe, timeless.

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness! It's beautiful!

I have often wondered why certain art is recognized by the masses and other art is not.

I've also wondered why certain people are recognized and others are not.

Halcyon said...

Gorgeous! I have some pictures of the bridge as well. I'll have to pull them out of the archives one day for my travel blog. We also have some Chiluly glass in OKC (that's where I'm from originally). It's hard to photograph though, but you did an outstanding job. Just love those colors!

cieldequimper said...

Weather permitting, I shall be in WA before spring. This time I'll try to make it to Tacoma.
Gorgeous shot Sheryl.

Francisca said...

Lovely.

Lowell said...

I know something about chihuly glass but I've never heard of this bridge...absolutely stunning!

Unseen India Tours said...

This is really beautiful !! Lovely and nice !! Thanks for sharing..

Halcyon said...

I finally posted my chihuly glass today. I think you must have had more sun than the day I visited.