Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Yellow Earth

Outside Bisbee, Arizona ~ December 28, 2004

It was hard to picture my grandparents living in this small, isolated town in the 1920s, but my grandfather had just left the Coast Guard and graduated from the Colorado School of Mines. He had gotten a degree in mining engineering, and Bisbee was all about mining. 

They tried to raise two little boys here, but they soon left. One of the reasons my grandmother gave was that it was too hard on her chasing my dad and uncle up and down the hill that Bisbee was built on. I can imagine.

Bisbee, Arizona ~ December 28, 2004

My Web Page: tapirback.com

7 comments:

Lowell said...

When I lived in Phoenix, Bisbee was considered the end of the world! Funny story - I can just see your grandmother chasing those two up the hill!

LONDONLULU said...

That is a beautiful capture and also love the story. I can't imagine how taxing it must've been for her to do all that chasing!:)

Anonymous said...

I love the story too. It creates a great mental image. :-) Also, the actual pictures are great!

Cezar and Léia said...

It's a beautiful place and your pictures are wonderful!
Léia

Halcyon said...

Love the picture and the story! I think it would be fun to live in the desert, but I'm sure there are drawbacks too. :)

tapirgal said...

I'll have to find the photo of Grandma hanging up the laundry in Bisbee as a young mother.

Pat Tillett said...

Great story! I think it would be tough to live there (or in a lot of towns like it). Too hot during the summer (although Bisbee isn't VERY hot), but it is cold there and cold for months. Of course, cold is a relative thing. Cold for my tender SoCal sensibilities I should say.