Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, March 11, 2013

Rare Photo of Shakespeare's Fireplace

 Stratford-upon-Avon ~ February 17, 2010

It's a nice old back plate and a cozy setting, but the real reason this may be a rare photo is because it's illegal. The moment after I took it, I was scolded and asked to put my camera away. We had just come in from the drizzly cold by the back door tourist entrance and entered the second building on the property where William Shakespeare was born. I guess somebody was worried that I could sell this picture for a lot of money. Or maybe they just wanted me to spend my pounds in the souvenir shop, which I did anyway. What do you think? 

My Web Page: tapirback.com

8 comments:

Halcyon said...

Another place I need to get to! Funny how some places are so strict about photos. I'm sure you could make millions off this one. ;)

cieldequimper said...

It's been almost 40 years since I went to Stratford and I didn't remember the fireplace, lol!

I can understand them not wanting to have people use flash lights (which most people do and I blush having to admit that sometimes I get the settings wrong) but never in a million years will I understand why in this day and age, unless there's a big copyright issue as there can be on art, photos wouldn't be allowed... I went crazy in Prague cathedral. No photos allowed. Did I buy their book? Nope!

Cezar and Léia said...

It's a beautiful special image!Thanks for sharing!
My daughter Marina went to visit Stratford two years ago. She didn't have pictures inside the home, only the gardens and the facade of the house.She told me the city is also adorable!
I hope to visit there someday!
hugs
Léia

Anonymous said...

I think it's a 'grate' photo!

LONDONLULU said...

Love seeing this! I also don't understand strict photo policies in some places, unless it was because of the flash damaging delicate artwork. Doesn't seem the case here though. I've been scolded for taking photos in some museums and churches (where it was not clearly prohibited) but also in the most unlikely places - like a clothing shop and a cheese counter (go figure on these 2!:)

Anonymous said...

Lovely! Like Halcyon, I think you should try to get a few million for it. I was in a grocery store in Portland the other day that had a "No Photographs" sign at the entrance. That was bizarre.

Lowell said...

I think you were fortunate and if you wish to sell it, go right ahead! Some folks make rules just to lord it over other people.

Pat Tillett said...

Of course we all know that Sir Francis Bacon actually was the one who lived here.... yeehaw!

I'd LOVE to see this place in person!